Are you snacking out of control?!
Do you find your trips to the fridge/cupboard and back to the sofa are increasing during lockdown?! Finding ourselves at home more than ever, maybe working from home and being surrounded by distraction in the form of little trips to the snack cupboard a few times a day can suddenly result in weight gain, feeling guilty and then the feeling pretty rubbish about yourself. Snacks offer us comfort, distraction, relief from boredom but they are a source of extra calories, anti-nutrients and oftentimes, stimulants…”to keep us going” like we are suddenly running daily marathons and need more fuel??
Stop! Let’s re-think, pause between bites….I have some tips for you, I personally have found these to be really helpful and hope you do too.
Here are my 3 top tips stop the snacking during lockdown and improving your health at the same time!
Water, yes…I know
1. It’s an obvious one, but seriously, increasing your water intake is a really easy way to keep your tummy full, stay hydrated and keep energy levels up. Reaching for a glass of water before you reach for the snacks is a sure way to give yourself time to think, assess “do I really need that snack?” and hydrate at the same time (we rarely drink enough water). Remember to try the “thirst-first” technique, you may just need a glass of water as our bodies often get confused between the feeling of hunger masquerading as dehydration. Aim for 1.5L water which equates to about 6-8 glasses every day. I use a water tracker bottle to make sure I am well hydrated.
Take back control
2. As we have lost control over many areas of our life during this “unprecedented” time (aarrgh?! anyone else sick of that word?) take back some control and make some really simple swaps to cut back on unnecessary calories in snacks. Firstly, don’t buy the unhealthy snacks? or at least put them in a really inconvenient place so you have to really think about it before you get your mitts on it!! Even go so far as to getting creative and cut out a picture of healthy food i.e. apple or pepper and stick it on the front of the snack cupboard/tin! This works for the whole family as a reminder of a healthier option they could choose?
Fill up on the good stuff
3. The good news is vegetables/salads are super-low in calories, high in fibre which fills you up for longer and full of vitamins and minerals. Fill up on the good stuff such as brightly chopped peppers/carrot/cucumber/celery/apple/sugar snap peas and keep these at the front of the fridge so they are the first thing you see! Veg and fruit are fabulous sources of fibre which are filling, low calorie and fantastic for your gut health and energy levels. Pour some love into prepping some enticing coloured fruit/veg/salads and make them interesting with spices, herbs, lemon etc. or you can make a healthy dip (see my online workshops for quick, speedy recipes and tips). Storing the raw veg in water keeps them fresh and crunchy for longer (just refresh the water each day).
Be realistic. Take an 80/20 approach…
Take a realistic but honest approach…
I am a fan of taking control of what food/drink you are consuming whilst remaining a realistic. Every meal has the opportunity to support health and wellness if you choose wisely but sometimes, in uncertain times, we all let go a little of our restraint. Be kind to yourself but remember, it is what you choose to eat/drink 80% of the time that has the biggest impact on your health.
So, if you do go overboard on the snacks, be honest with yourself, you can regain control the next day, drink more water, make healthy choices easily accessible that your body and mind will thank you for. After all, we don’t know how long we will have to continue spending more time at home, so rather than treating this as a “holiday period”, treat it as a way of life for now and see it as an opportunity to improve your nutrition. We’ve got this! #keepingitreal
What can you do next?
Here are further steps you can take right now to help you move forward (and away from the snacks!)
1. Join my new EAT BETTER LOSE WEIGHT 4-week weight loss programme- starts soon!! https://mailchi.mp/074e080325ff/eat-better-feel-better-four-weeks
2. Free advice/recipes; sign up to my newsletter Click here> https://mailchi.mp/033166e6e080/evienutritionsignup
3. Join my next online nutrition workshop and learn something new! Click here> https://evienutrition.co.uk/workshops
4. Book your FREE discovery call to discuss your specific health concerns/goals. Click here: https://evienutrition.co.uk/contact
5. Follow me for free tips/advice and recipes on Facebook and Instagram
You can find more daily inspiration, tips/advice/recipes and more by visiting and following my facebook page and insta where I share something for you every day.